Vehicle Donation FAQ’s
- How does Town Cats benefit from my vehicle donation? Vehicles are sold via auction and proceeds from the sale help our organization fund on going programs.
- How do I benefit from donating my vehicle? You receive a tax deduction based on the actual selling price of your vehicle or $500, whichever is greater. Please consult with your tax preparer for specific details.
- Once I submit my information what happens?
An Auction City representative will contact you within 24 hours to schedule a pick up time usually with 2 to 3 business days. You can also contact Auction City at 888-500-1555 or 650-367-7788 to schedule a pick up.
- Who will be picking up my vehicle and what paperwork will I receive? Our tow service will pick up your vehicle at the scheduled time and provide you with an initial donation receipt on behalf of Town Cats.
- What paperwork do I need to have at the time of pick up? You will need your vehicle title and the tow service driver will have a DMV form 26 “Vehicle Transfer form” for you to sign. If you cannot locate your title, Auction City can make arrangements with you to obtain a duplicate title.
- Do I need to submit a release of liability with the DMV? You certainly can, and all the information you need to do so will be on the donation receipt that is provided at the time of pick up. Auction City will also submit an online release of liability with the DMV and can provide a digital copy to you via email.
- How will my car be sold? Auction City conducts 8 monthly auctions as well as on going eBay Motors online auctions and will determine the best market for your vehicle. Their goal is to ensure that Town Cats receives the maximum amount of money for each donation that we receive.
- What tax paperwork will I receive once the vehicle is sold? If your vehicle sells for more than $500 and you itemize your deductions, Auction City can provide you with an IRS 1098c form.
- Is there anything else I need to know? Yes, Town Cats thanks you for your support and please tell a friend about our vehicle donation program. We couldn’t do it without your help.
Donate your car!